Friday, 22 February 2008

Free Ride by Dizzy Gillespie





















Produced, Composed and Arranged by Lalo Schifrin


Recorded at Wally Heider Recording Studios, Hollywood 

January 31st , February 1st & 2nd 1977


I picked this up in a Record Store in Portobello Road around 1990. This is a very Funky Session. The Album has become a real favourite of mine and there are some real gems hidden away on it. ‘Incantations’ is the stand-out track for me but the whole Album is excellent.


Electric Guitar – Wah Wah Watson, Ray Parker Jr. & Lee Ritenour

Bass – Wilton L. Felder

Drums – Edward Greene

Percussion – Paulinho da Costa

Piano & Fender Rhodes – Charles E. Spangler

Electronic Keyboards – Lalo Schifrin 

Trumpet – Oscar Brashear & Jack H. Laubach

Trombone – Lew McCreary

Flute & Sax – James Horn

Sax – Ernest Watts


Side 1


1. Unicorn

2. Fire Dance

3. Incantation

4. Wrong Number


Side 2


1. Free Ride

2. Ozone Madness

3. Love Poem For Donna

4. The Last Stroke Of Midnight


Download

5 comments:

Dude K said...

Hi

I had seen this on CD locally, but Doug Payne seemed lukewarm about it on his site. So I postponed listening to it. Your comments sent me scurrying around to see if it was still there. It was.

If (like me) you are taken with Gillespie's "The Matrix" and Schifrin's early 70's work, you might find this a bit too polished. Listening to it right through I found it a bit 'rich'. And there is the occasional sweet 'pop' overtone.

I can see why you might like it, though. Thanks for prompting me to give it a listen.

Regards

The Green Radio Network said...

Thanks a bunch. Dizzy is one of my favorites and this is one that I hadn't heard.

Peace

wyo

Dimich said...

Thank you! Sweet record.

Andy said...

Stella line up,thanks

jazzobsessive said...

Great to find someone else who appreciates this funky little lp as much as I do!

What good taste you have.